NGO Jobs at The Norwegian Refugee Council, Qualified candidates should see job details and Apply. Click for more Jobs at the NRC
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
NGO Jobs at The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Job Title: Protection Officer
Job Identification Number: 7254
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Duration of contract: 6 months renewable
Grade: 5 in NRC’s grading structure
Reporting line: Protection Coordinator
- We are looking for people who are passionate about helping refugees and people forced to flee.
- If you are those people, the Norwegian Refugee Council in Nigeria is looking for an enthusiastic and passionate Protection Officer to join our protection team in Maiduguri Area Office
- You will be responsible to Provide day-to-day support to program and support teams in Return, Host, and IDP communities to identify and remediate protection gaps and on a regular basis review NRC Vulnerability and targeting criteria by increasing the level of relevant skills and knowledge through the provision of a range of activities
- To be successful in this role you will be a confident communicator with excellent relationship-building skills, capable of establishing strong relationships with stakeholders at all levels while supporting new initiatives across the Area.
- If you are a highly organized individual, comfortable with working in an emergency environment and have previous experience in protection, we would love to hear from you
- Carry out regular visits to assigned field locations and collect information using NRC procedures and forms
- Flag any immediate protection risks that arise during protection field visits to the Protection Manager
- Ensure space for focus groups is comfortable and appropriate for the group in question and ensure privacy for key informant interviews
- Proactively engage with programme teams in the field to ensure safe programming tools are up to date and relevant to the level of their need including designing and implementing the NRC referral pathway
- Insert information on all referrals into the Referral matrix and contribute to data analysis as appropriate, adhering to confidentiality and safety principles
- Together with the PC, support programme safe programming initiatives and ensure protection Risk Assessments are core to all NRC’s Multi-sectoral assessment
- Contribute to the design and planning of relevant training and awareness-raising sessions for NRC staff, community members, LNGOs and duty bearers;
- Build capacity of NRC programme and support teams on protection safe programming by conducting regular awareness raising sessions, inductions and support Core Protection training follow-up.
- Identify information needs of IDPs through visits to IDP camps, IDP interviews and focus group discussions
We are Looking For
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3 years’ experience from working in a protection role in an emergency or protracted crises settings
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts. Work experience in the Northeast is a plus.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English & Hausa
- Strong communication, coordination and representational skills.
What’s in it for you?
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply and to join a work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility
- At NRC we think creatively. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face
- You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.
- Learn on the job: NRC’s collaborative working style favours the exchange of good practice and lessons learnt. At NRC, employees learn on the job and are encouraged to look for opportunities to develop new competencies. NRC managers priorities the quality work and the competency development of their staff. This entails giving newcomers a good start, following up, training and mentoring employees to allow them to perform well in their current job, offering learning and development programmes.
Application Closing Date
15th August, 2022 (01:00AM).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position is open to National candidates only.
- We invite applications from all qualified and interested candidates.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.