Website Code for Africa
Site Reliability Engineer (Remote) at Code for Africa, Qualified Candidates should Apply. Click for more Jobs
Code for Africa is the continent’s largest federation of independent civic technology and data journalism laboratories, which build digital democracy solutions giving citizens unfettered access to actionable information that empowers them to make informed decisions and that strengthens civic engagement for improved public governance and accountability.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Site Reliability Engineer
Site Reliability Engineer (Remote) at Code for Africa
Table of Contents
About the Role
- Do you want to help run digital infrastructures and tools that strengthen our democracies and empower citizens?
- Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a Site Reliability / DevOps Engineer to join our civic technology lab.
- Candidates must have demonstrable experience in building tools to automate and streamline deployment processes, as well as in maintaining and troubleshooting production systems running on at least one Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) provider.
- CfA is a non-profit advocate for open source software (along with open data), and the successful candidate will therefore be required to help champion these principles by adopting best practices and helping document all our technologies to help others reuse it free of charge. Also in keeping with CfA’s values, you will be expected to regularly interact with the wider civic tech community, as well as CfA’s grantees and partners, to share insights and offer guidance.
- The successful candidates will work as part of a multinational and multilingual team using digital collaboration tools to create content for a global audience and international media partners.
- The successful candidate will join CfA’s Technology team as a Site Reliability / DevOps Engineer.
- The technology team is responsible for designing, developing, deploying and maintaining all digital services (tools/systems/platforms) at CfA.
- You will be responsible for keeping all customer-facing services and other production systems running smoothly. This will include protecting the health of the production environment by, for example, planning and testing disaster recovery scenarios for our highly available tools/systems/platforms.
- Additionally, you will support the development team with an agile, responsive continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform to deliver high-quality builds with measurable performance and quality.
- Design, write and deliver software to improve all aspects of our deployment process i.e. infrastructure-as-code
- Debug production issues across all our services.
- Analyse data and provide operational insights into service reliability and user experience to Design and Development teams.
- Plan the growth of Code for Africa’s infrastructure.
- Writing technical documents.
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent Engineering discipline
- 2+ years as Site Reliability/DevOps Engineer working with AWS.
- Strong Linux troubleshooting knowledge.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Candidates who are able to demonstrate the following will have an advantage:
- Good to advanced knowledge of TCP/IP networking & troubleshooting tools.
- Experience with Docker, Nginx, Dokku, GitHub Actions, or similar technologies.
- Ability to dive deep into complex technical problems.
Language and Location Requirements:
- Location: CfA has labs located in Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania and Uganda. However the role can be performed remotely, and applicants across Africa will therefore be considered.
- Languages: English
- Preferred but not required: Arabic, French, KiSwahili or any other major language spoken in Africa.
What We Offer
- A competitive salary, subject to experience, with opportunities for performance-based growth, both in terms of career path and public stature.
- A dynamic workplace, with a transnational team, occasional international travel, and generous vacation benefits.
- Ongoing opportunities to learn new cutting-edge skills and techniques/technologies to future-proof yourself in a rapidly evolving industry.
- A chance to shine on a global stage, writing for international audiences and interacting with colleagues around the world.
Application Closing Date
30th April, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
To apply for this job please visit opportunities.codeforafrica.org.