Website International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Employment Opportunities at the International Rescue Committee, Interested and qualified candidates should see the job details and apply. Click for more Jobs at International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Employment Opportunities at the International Rescue Committee
Job Title: Senior EH Manager
Requisition ID: req22286
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
- Under the supervision of the Environmental Health Coordinator, the senior environmental health manager will be responsible for IRC WASH component in Borno State ensuring WASH intervention within Monguno, Gwoza, Konduga, Magumeri, MMC and Jere LGAs in Borno are in accordance with IRC and donor requirement.
- S/he reports to the environmental health coordinator and will work closely with other environmental health managers in Borno to ensure efficient use of resources, s/he will provide leadership and provide technical support to the IRC WASH team in Borno and ensure all WASH project are implemented within the standards and proposed project time frame.
- Ensure that all IRC WASH related activities across Borno meets the need of the beneficiaries and in line with sphere, IRC, donor regulations and in line with Nigeria’s standards.
- Ensure high quality implementation of the WASH component across Borno field sites, in a timely manner, within budget, and in full compliance with the donor contract and IRC rules and regulations.
- Ensure that WASH interventions are appropriately-planned, adequately resourced and implemented in according to the IRC integration strategy for WASH and other sector in line with accountability guidelines.
- Ensure good internal coordination, communication and spirit with the WASH teams across Borno offices
- Actively participate in internal and external coordination such as IRC internal coordination meeting and the WASH cluster meeting in Maiduguri and other LGAs.
- Establish good relations and coordination with WASH humanitarian actors in Borno and other LGAs where the IRC is addressing the WASH needs
- In collaboration with the other IRC sectors including RH, protection and WPE, ensure that protection mainstreaming and menstrual hygiene management (MHM) cut across WASH activities in Borno whilst the quality and timeliness of all WASH outcome are met during project implementation.
- Work closely with M&E team in Borno to develop and improve M&E and feedback mechanisms for the EH Borno program, ensuring that the EH teams in the field actively monitor set indicators and effectively address concerns of the target communities.
- Work closely with Supply Chain department to develop and monitor procurement and distribution plans for all active grants in Borno on a monthly basis.Lead in all WASH assessment within Borno location ensuring that proposals and reports are informed by the findings of the assessments.
- Lead the internal and external reporting and proposal development for WASH in Borno by ensuring that all reports and proposal are submitted to EH coordination on time to allow for review before final submission to the country office.
- Review progress of all active grants in Borno; in achieving program objectives and targets in collaboration with the program managers.
- Participate in all Borno grant opening, mid-term review, and grant closing meetings.
- Draft technical aspects of internal and external reports within agreed deadlines using IRC and donor formats, as required and share with the EH Coordinator.
- In collaboration with the program support officer, managers, review Budget vs. Actual expenditures for EH programs on a monthly basis. Bring any over/under expenditure issues to the attention of the EH Coordinator in a timely manner.
Human Resources, Finance, Logistics and Security:
- Supervise other WASH Managers in Borno by applying the IRC’s performance management tools and by providing technical and non-technical management support and advice;
- Participate in the recruitment of new WASH staff and Manage the WASH budget lines of related active grants
- Provide support to others WASH Managers in Borno by ensure that all IRC WASH spending in different grants is carried out and accounted for in a manner that is compliant with IRC procurement and financial regulations ensuring no overspending or underspending.
- Provide support to others WASH managers by working with the logistics department to ensure that WASH teams receive the necessary support in terms of transport, procurement and warehousing.
- Ensure compliance with IRC security procedures for WASH interventions, as well as a high degree of security awareness and preparedness among the WASH teams.
Technical guidance and Training:
- Spend significant time on WASH intervention sites to monitor activities and provide practical technical guidance to the team.
- Based on needs and gaps, provide formal and informal technical training to WASH managers and staffs and identify external training opportunities as needed.
- Proactively liaise with the EH Coordinator for additional technical support.
- Actively participate in the couching and capacity building of other EH managers on report writing and proposal development.
- Ensure that all EH work meets the IRC standard within the targets LGS in Borno by visiting the sites appropriately.
- Work closely with the senior environmental health manager Adamawa to coordinate activities with Borno and enhance consolidation and reports to the EH Coordinator.
- M.Sc / B.Eng / B.Sc. in Geology, Civil and Water Resources Engineering, Public Health, Environmental Health, or other related courses with a minimum of three years’ experience practicing WASH in humanitarian and development context.
- Very good command in micro soft, Auto CAD, EPANET and other related soft wares.
- Command of written English to produce documents and reports in good standard
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with colleagues and partners
- Experience in collecting and collating qualitative and quantitative data
- High experience in budget analysis related to budget tracking for different donor funds
- Ability to work with data collection and analysis software
- Accuracy and keen attention to details, in order to produce high quality documents and maintain good records
- Commitment to IRC values and principles
- Knowledge of the local languages and Hausa will be an added advantage.
- The Senior EH Manager will be based in Maiduguri – Borno State. Maiduguri is security phase 3 (ORANGE) so the Senior EH Manager will be expected to respect the various security protocols in place in Maiduguri. Phase 3 requires clear contingency planning in place with staff prepared should hibernation or evacuation be called.
Standards for Professional Conduct
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
To apply for this job please visit rescue.csod.com.