Website Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Technical Advisor on Vocational Education & Training (VET / ATVET) at the Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)… Click for more Jobs at GIZ
The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Technical Advisor on Vocational Education & Training (VET/ATVET)
Vacancy No: 073B
Location: Abeokuta, Ogun
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Skills for Youth Employment in Nigeria (SKYE)
Technical Advisor on Vocational Education & Training (VET / ATVET) at the Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Background: GIZ. Working together for Change
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries. We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity.
- Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our 19,506 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national personnel, work in around 120 countries (December 2017).
- GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 280 national and 51 international employees and 4 integrated specialists are working in the country (as of 31.12.2018).
The Programme: Skills Development for Youth Employment (SKYE) Programme
- The GIZ Programme “Skills for Youth Employment in Nigeria (SKYE)” supports the diversification of the economy in Nigeria through the promotion of demand oriented technical and agricultural vocational training and education (A/VET). Apart from the sectors agriculture and construction, the project is focusing mainly on the automotive, ICT and other sectors.
- The strategy of the project is to improve the synergy between measures on the demand side for employment (i.e. skilled persons that followed vocational qualification measures, formal and informal TVET and Agricultural-VET (ATVET) measures) with those of the employment supply side (i.e. promotion of a pro-employment environment in the private sector through e.g. job centers, job fairs, short-term training and internship programmes, etc.).
- The purpose is to develop the match-making between the supply and demand of skilled labor force and hence to contribute to the decrease of youth unemployment in the country.
Responsibilities and Tasks
The Technical Advisor supports the SKYE Programme in:
- Achieving the objectives, in the area of VET, formal technical education and apprenticeship
- Contributing in the development of national occupational standards and of curricula.
- Ensuring proper capacity development services to partners and the capacity development of individuals, networks, organisations or political institutions
- Developing of training concepts, selection of training providers, training preparation and implementation.
- Ensuring that results of programme interventions are backed up by reliable data, well documented and visualised and contributes to the monitoring & evaluation of SKYE Programme.
- Developing proposals for additional interventions that support skills development.
- Both, independently and in collaboration with SKYE colleagues (and under the supervision of the team leader) in Abuja plans, designs, prepares, organizes, coordinates and implements interventions and activities e.g. trainings, seminars and workshops, budgets, networking events, linkages, awareness and sensitization campaigns.
- Supports the identification of consultants and trainers, drafting of ToRs and oversees and monitors the quality control and degree of goal achievement of the performance of national and international consultants.
- Provides strategic, operational and other technical support to stakeholders and partners on federal, state and local levels
- Assists and monitors the development and implementation of operational plans and activities in close consultation with counterparts to ensure quality and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives.
- Supports and takes responsibility for the achievement of any other task as needed and assigned by the management
- Identify synergies and promote as well as coordinate activities with stakeholders and partners
- Specific tasks might include: preparation, management and organization of trainings of trainers, support in the development of curricula, National occupational standards, implement instruments to raise awareness on the employment opportunities in the VET sector, capacity development on all levels of the stakeholders.
- Facilitation of partnerships between the private sector and training institutions to ensure the demand oriented skills development with specific focus on construction and agriculture / agro-processing sectors. The advisor should also scope for additional sectors with high employment potential.
- Coordination of Farmers Business School in Ogun state.
- Participation in the ATVET study as well as development of ATVET fact sheet for Ogun state.
- Develops and implement Agricultural related activities in Ogun state.
- Implementation of short-term agricultural trainings.
- Participation in field research work/primary data collection for agricultural value chain analysis and skills gap analysis to assist in the curriculum development for crops in Ogun state.
- Active participation in the SEDEC Agriculture working group.
- Ensures knowledge transfer of relevant information to the unit or programme
- Documents and adequately labels all relevant files for future use on the relevant servers
- Prepares appropriate input for various unit/ programme reports including annual reports, presentations and contributes to the other reports required by the programme
- Assesses and analysis existing interventions in the country to support strategic decision-making and advisory services for partners.
- Assists in preparing, conducting and documenting internal meetings.
- Assists in preparing, conducting and documenting meetings with partners.
- Assists in keeping track of processes and actions required.
- May be assigned other tasks as required.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Master’s Degree or MBA (or B.Sc. plus equivalent work experience) in Agribusiness, Economics or in a similar area.
- Minimum of three (3) years of professional experience with national and international organisations, private sector companies or government institutions in the field of T/A-VET.
- Work experience in the field of vocational training, employment promotion or career guidance is an asset.
- Proven excellent knowledge of the English language, both oral and written
- Exceptional analytical, conceptional and organizational skills
- Proven good working knowledge of computer applications (e.g. MS Office Package)
- Willingness to strengthen skills and competences as required by the task to be performed in line with measures agreed with the supervisor and management
- Willingness to travel to the field and other programmes offices in Nigeria
- Good communication skills
- A good team player who is willing to take on responsibility
Desired Additional Qualifications, Competences and Experience:
- Experience in the Nigerian TVET sector
- Experience with Dual Vocational Training Systems
- Desired work experience in Ogun State, knowledge of TVET institutions and agencies (such as NDE, technical colleges, TVET Board etc.) on ground or region
- Skills on data collection, analysis and visualization is considered a strong asset
- International exposure
- Knowledge in issues of gender equality
- Knowledge on value chain development
- Knowledge of security related skills.
According to GIZ Nigeria Salary scale for Band 4.
Application Closing Date
8th November, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV, and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details via email to: email@example.com using “Vacancy no. 073B” as the subject of the email.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org