Accountability Officer at INTERSOS Nigeria, Qualified Candidates should Apply. Click for more NGO Jobs
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accountability Officer
Reference Code: SR-49-2007
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Starting Date: 01/09/2021
Contract Duration: 6 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission (hierarchical)
Functional Supervisor: HQ Internal Auditor
Supervision of: –
Dependents: Non-family Duty station
Accountability Officer at INTERSOS Nigeria
General Context of the Project
- Since 2009, the Boko Haram insurgency has crippled northeastern Nigeria. Borno State continues to be most affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 22 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno, but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
- In support of the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is implementing more than 6 projects addressing critical gaps in health and nutrition, WASH, Protection, Health, Food Security, Livelihood, and Camp Coordination and Camp Management services for a highly vulnerable population in the newly accessible host communities in of Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Banki, Damasak, Monguno, Magumeri, Jere-MMC Local Government Area (LGA), Borno State, Nigeria.
General Purpose of the Position
- The Accountability Officer is responsible to lead the accountability system within the Mission, according to INTERSOS “Organizational Management and Control Model” and related Policies.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- Systematically analyze and follow-up the complaint mechanisms in all country bases by supporting and reinforcing the existing accountability tools.
- Receiving the complaints through the different tools and processes put in place and keeping the database of complaints updated and available for Headquarters’ or Mission’s investigations.
- Refer to relevant actors and senior managers in case of misconduct or breaches of the rule, following the established pathways.
- Ensure the reinforcement and/or development of effective and sustainable accountability mechanisms, including the complaint and feedback mechanism for program beneficiaries/stakeholders in collaboration with the Heads of Field Office, PM, and Coordinators.
- Ensure that clear SOPs are in place for the collection and processing of feedbacks and complaints through modalities that are easily accessible to beneficiaries, volunteers, and staff;
- Conduct investigations (at the National level) related to complaints, in compliance with INTERSOS internal policies, and producing all relevant investigation documents, if required;
- Ensure that data resulting from the feedback and complaint mechanism is properly archived and analyzed on a regular basis;
- Ensure that the community engagement is done in an appropriate and respectful manner, managing expectations and providing a transparent client-oriented service;
- Immediately refers to the PSEA focal point for any SEAH (sexual exploitation and abuses, harassment) suspected or confirmed the incident.
- Immediate referral of survivors of SEAH to the relevant actors in the Mission for follow-up.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Studies, Humanitarian Actions, Humanitarian International Law, or any other Juridical discipline.
- A Master’s Degree is a plus.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant working experience with at least 1 year in a senior accountability role.
- Minimum 2 years of experience working in the humanitarian field.
- Information Management Systems expertise (e.g., Database management or data analysis software skills).
- Experience in the accountability process and complaint mechanisms.
- Proven experience in building the capacity of a team and good managerial skills.
- Experience and ability to train others, facilitate workshops and transfer knowledge.
- Experience and ability to conduct internal investigations on site
- Proficiency in reporting
- Proficiency in MS Office (i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Planning and Organizing (ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with peaks of heavy workloads.
- Strategic vision.
- Driving and achieving results.
- Teamwork (Ability to delegate and work in a team).
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of Hausa is desirable
- High integrity.
- Excellent Communication Skills.
- Relationship building.
- Very good diplomatic & negotiation skills.
- High Flexibility and adaptability.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Problem-solving and decision making; ability to create solutions to operational problems.
- Developing and motivating staff.
- Humanitarian motivation and commitment to INTERSOS values.
- Respect of INTERSOS policies and procedures.
- Strong commitment to beneficiaries’ best interests.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
7th September, 2021.
- Attach CV with the following format “Surname, Position you applied for”.
- Only applicants whose competencies meet the requirement of the position will be contacted.
- INTERSOS do not ask for any form of payment at any stage of the recruitment