It’s important to help you understand what an internship is and its benefit. This will help you know if to apply or not. A good understanding of internship will going long way in helping individuals. Luckily, you are on the right page. Today we will be explaining internship, what it means, and its benefit.
Also, we do answer one of the frequent questions by fresh graduate which is. What’s the difference between an internship and Graduate Trainee? We encourage you to read keenly.
What is an Internship?
According to Wikipedia “An internship is a period of work experience offered by an organization for a limited period of time. Once confined to medical graduates, the internship is used for a wide range of placements in businesses, non-profit organizations and government agencies.”
It is a period of time when a student or graduate has to get temporary employment in other to gain working experience.
A short term period when an employer offers a job to a potential employee known as interns. They are called interns because they are not yet considered as full staff. Understand that internship is short term employment basically meant to gain knowledge and working experience.
An internship can be full time, part-time or even remote. This is base on the policy and culture organisation offering the internship. As an intern, you should know that not more than 25 per cent of your duties will include clerical or Admin. Having understood what an Internship means let’s see the benefit of working as an intern.
What are the Benefits of Internship?
Below are awesome reasons why you should see internship opportunities and get on as a student or graduate.
- One of the best ways to explore and build a career is through an internship. It gives you that opportunity to systematically study and discover which career will be great for you, it also gives you a great idea on how to develop such a career.
- Aside from career exploration and development, An internship gives you the opportunity to learn new and great skills which are in line with your choice of career.
- To the employer, an Internship provides them with the opportunity to bring new ideas and energy into the workplace, develop talent and potentially build a pipeline for future full-time employees.
- Expose students (interns) to the culture and policy of the organisation as well as their proposed work assignment.
- It helps in the provision of project description for work experience. That is it help you gain job experience which is an advantage for your next job.
- Helps the student develop and achieve learning goals.
- Regular feedback is usually offered, this could also trigger learn cool stuff.
- Interns get the opportunity to network with full-time employers as well as superiors in the organisation.
The Difference between Internship and Graduate Programs
An internship is a practical work experience with an employer. It can be for students or fresh graduates. It can come as paid or unpaid. or base on the project.
Internships are a great way to experience different employers and roles related to your field of interest and may help you figure out your career direction.
On the other hand, Graduate programs are usually brought by large cooperations. Graduate Programs are aim specifically for Fresh graduates only. Graduate programs also aim to impart skills and help the candidate become a staff. Therefore, it involves coaching and mentoring. They are the best way to fast track leadership and growth of an organisational structure.
I believe you have got an Idea of What an Internship is and its Benefit? Also, I also believe you now understand the difference between an internship and graduate programs. in simple terms. An internship can be a job offer to the student in other to gain practical work experience. While the Graduate Trainee program is created to bridge the gap and impart skills as well as fast-tracking employment of an employee.
Kindly Follow our Twitter Community for more Job Updates.